Ever wanted to read Tolkien’s The Silmarillion, but you’re intimidated by it? Or already read it and you’re left confused by all those names and plotlines? Seek no more, we’re going to untangle The Silmarillion together!
For March 2017, in the spirit of Tolkien Reading Day on March 25th, I’ve decided to re-read The Silmarillion and take you along with me. While it is not the first time, nor the second time, I’ve read The Silmarillion, it is certainly a while since I’ve picked it up and read the whole thing. So it felt like it is time for a re-reading.
So what is my plan?
Below, you’ll see that I’ve divided the chapters into 5 weeks. In week one, we will start with chapter 1 and progress with each week until we reach the last chapter in week 5. Then, on each Monday, my goal is to write a blog post with my thoughts, favourite quotes and anything that I’d like to discuss with you. You can then share your thoughts and questions in the comments.
Moreover, as you can also see, I’ve decided to come up with certain themes for each reading week. The aim is for us to read the chapters with a specific theme in mind as a starting point for our discussions. Still, if there is anything that strikes you while reading that has nothing to do with the theme of that week, don’t be discouraged! These themes are a guide only. Every thought or idea that comes to your mind is welcome. In the end, the goal is to explore and discuss the book together.
If this will be your first reading of The Silmarillion (or still struggling after having read it), there are two blogs out there with ‘reading guides’ which are, in my opinion, very informative and great.
- ‘Approaching Tolkien: The Silmarillion‘ by A Tolkienist’s perspective
Silmarillion Read Along Schedule
Week 1: 01.03 – 05.03
Theme: Music & Harmony
- Of the Beginnings of Days
- Of Aulë and Yavanna
- Of the Coming of the Elves and the Captivity of Melkor
Discussion post on 06.03.17
Week 2: 06.03 – 12.03
Theme: Light & Dark
- Of Thingol and Melian
- Of Eldamar and the Princess of Eldalië
- Of Fëanor and the Unchaining of Melkor
- Of the Silmarils and the Unrest of the Noldor
- Of the Darkening of Valinor
- Of the Flight of the Noldor
Discussion post on 13.03.17
Week 3: 13.03 – 19.03
Theme: Life & Death
- Of the Sindar
- Of the Sun and the Moon and the Hiding of Valinor
- Of Men
- Of the Return of the Noldor
- Of Beleriand and its Realms
Discussion post 20.03.17
Week 4: 20.03 – 26.03
- Of the Noldor in Beleriand
- Of Maeglin
- Of the Coming of Men into the West
- Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin
- Of Beren and Lúthien
- Of the Fifth Battle: Nirnaeth Arnoediad
Discussion post on 27.03.17
Week 5: 27.03 – 31.03
Theme: Shadow & Deception
- Of Túrin Turambar
- Of the Ruin of Doriath
- Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin
- Of the Voyage of Eärendil and the War of Wrath
- Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age
Discussion post on 03.04.17
If there are any questions left in regards to The Silmarillion read-along, leave me a comment or contact us via travellinggeekshow [at] gmail [dot] com! Will you join my Silmarillion read along? If so, I’d love to hear from you in the comments! If not, do you plan on reading another of Tolkien’s work? Leave a comment down below!
Whether you decide to join me or not, I’m very excited to post my thoughts on the first five chapters on March 6th so stay tuned!